Thursday, June 25, 2015

Race #23: Rumble in the Jungle (aka the Pittsburgh Melanoma Foundation ‘Miles for Melanoma’ 5k)

Date: June 13
Type: Run
Distance: 5K
Shwag: The brightest race shirt you’ve ever seen.

A few weeks ago I was back home in Pittsburgh for my aunt’s 70th birthday party. While there, I met up with one of my best friends in the whole wide world, Ms. Ali Perdue, for a low-key 5K in South Park, only a few miles from where I grew up. I run in the park pretty much every time I’m home visiting my parents and it brings back so many memories of a younger and different me.  

Because I was running a 5k at sea-level, I wanted to try to PR. On top of that, my family had been so supportive and encouraging the night before that it made me want to run my butt off for them. I think I had more people sincerely wish me good luck the night before this 5k than I did the night before my ironman.   

But, Pittsburgh is hilly as all get out. Seriously, it’s ridiculous. When I first moved to Colorado, a friend of mine would remark at how adeptly I rode my bike up hills. My response: Yeah, well, I’m from Pittsburgh.  Pittsburgh is home to the steepest paved road in the world, which means that a measly little 5k has the chance to be a suffer-fest.  Throw in some triple H weather (hazy, hot, and humid) and you can pretty much kiss all of those sea-level benefits goodbye.  

There was no course map or info on the website so I didn’t know if this was going to be a flat race or not. Leading up to the race, my dad kept speculating on the course, saying things like, “I bet they’re going to send you up that big hill behind the playground.” Or, “I bet you’ll run down the main road for a while and then they’ll send you up that big hill past the Oliver Miller Homestead.” I know he was just trying to think the race through in his head but, man, he was psyching me out!  

As I was leaving on race morning, my dad was pulling in from his Saturday morning bakery run and he had a box of amazing looking donuts. In fact, they looked so amazing that they were probably doughnuts. He asked if I wanted one (I think he might have been serious) and then once again speculated on the hilliness of the course before wishing me good luck. Psyching me out, offering me do(ugh)nuts right before the race… wait a second… is this guy trying to sabotage my race?

Since I had fueled up the night before with plenty of fried chicken, birthday cake, and something that involved jello and cool whip (don’t judge), I declined the donut and was on my way.

When I got to the park, I saw that they had orange cones set up along the fairly flat main drag. Phew. It was going to be a flat-ish race! Too bad the humidity levels were not unlike that of a jungle.

A few years ago I ran the Pittsburgh marathon, the only “real” marathon I’ve ever done. (I know it sounds nuts if you’ve never done it but an ironman run is not the same thing. It's easier.) I affectionately refer to that race as “the most miserable experience of my life” and/or “that stupid marathon.”  The conditions on the morning of the 5k were exactly the same as the conditions during my marathon: both the temperature and the humidity were in the 80’s. Ugh.

I didn’t want to completely abandon my hopes of a PR, but I also wanted to be realistic. Taking the conditions into consideration, I set my goal as running as hard as I possibly could, given that I was running through air so thick you could cut it with a knife. If I managed to get a PR, great! If not, I would still be happy with giving it my all.   

As we started to line up for the race, I realized two important things: I was at a melanoma fundraiser and I had forgotten to wear sunscreen (oops) and there also weren’t that many people lining up in front of me. I had placed myself at what I thought would be the appropriate pace group sign but there was only a smattering of people ahead of me, and not too many were women.

Just as I was processing this, Ali came up to me and said, “This is a pretty small race and I think a lot of people walk so, no pressure or anything, but you might do okay.” Good god. That wasn’t something I needed to think about! Also, when somebody says, “no pressure,” there’s pretty much immediately more pressure. I tried not to think about it and instead struck up a conversation with the teenage girl next and woman standing next to me. My “competition”!   

Maybe it was because it was a small race, or maybe it’s because the race was in Pittsburgh, but people were incredibly friendly at the start. Actually, when I say it was a small race, there were still hundreds of people so I think the good vibe was definitely a Pittsburgh thing. One thing I love about that town is the general sense of comradery that goes along with being a Pittsburgher. I suppose it goes back to the tough, immigrant, steel town days but the feeling is that you’re one of us and we’re all in this together and we’re going to help each other out in any way that we can. And even if you’re not actually a Pittsburgher, we’ve still got your back. It’s an amazing thing that you don’t find in too many other places. I love it when I’m home and I miss it when I’m not.  

When the gun went off, I felt like I had already been running for an hour because I was drenched in sweat from simply standing outside. I started out slower than I wanted because, despite having an altitude advantage, the humidity made it hard to breathe. I tried not to think about who was or was not in front of me and was happy with my ability to stay in my bubble, despite the fact that the woman running next to me was obviously racing me. When I hit the first mile marker, I decided that I should push myself a little more and so I picked it up a tad, but not much because, my god, the humidity.

It was an out and back course but I didn’t bother to count how many people were in front of me. I just stayed focused and tried not to think about the fact that I felt like I was running in a steam room. As I was coming up on the finish line, I looked at my watch and saw that I wasn’t far off my PR but I also knew there was no way I could run any faster in those conditions. I crossed the finish line knowing I was done with my race but that I wouldn't be done sweating until the next day when I was back in Colorado’s much more arid climate.

I normally don’t stick around at races because I can count on two fingers the number of times I’ve placed in my age group. But, given the lack of people in front of me while running, I decided to check the results. To my utter delight, I was second in my age group. Since it was a small race, I wasn’t sure how many age group award they would give so I did a quick drive-by of the awards table and saw the age group awards went three deep. It kind of made my day.

Ali and I planned to get breakfast after the race but I made her stick around until I got my medal. It
Smiley Cookies! 
took forever for them to get the awards started but luckily they had smiley cookies to tide us over.

While waiting for the awards to start, a girl named Lauren came up and introduced herself to me. I remember her from the race because she and I were running pretty close together for a while and she had multiple people cheering her on along the route. I first noticed Lauren around the turn around point, where she was running in front of me. Then I noticed she was running next to me, and then she was running behind me. As the race went on, I could tell that she was getting farther behind because the cheers from her pep squad(s) were getting more and more faint. Then again, that could have been because I had a bit of tunnel vision in the last quarter mile because, my god, the humidity.  

Without an ounce of self-consciousness, Lauren told me that she and her sister were trying to chase me down but couldn’t. They pick someone to beat at every race and this race, it was me. I found this endlessly amusing for so many reasons, but mostly because she was just so friendly and open about it. There was no ill will, no hard feelings that I had beaten her, no insecurity about her running ability or herself. She wasn’t trying to make herself feel better by beating me. It was straight up competition and that was a refreshing change from Boulder where the “friendly” competition often feels like it has a little bit of a yucky edge to it. 

Lauren asked how I did and I told her I got second in my age group. She said, “So did I. So you must be in the 20 – 29 age group then.” Lauren is my new best friend.

I also met the woman who had been racing me in the beginning. It turns out she’s a friend of a friend of my friend Ali’s. She finished a bit behind me but managed to win her age group. Oh to be 39 again!

Me and my fellow winners
My new BFF, Lauren, and the other
woman who was trying to beat me
The Goods


After I got my well-earned medal, Ali and I spent not enough time catching up and then I was off to meet my family for more fried chicken, more birthday cake, and some wacky fun in and out of the city. One thing that made me laugh throughout the day was that when I commented on the ridiculous amount of food I was eating, people would say “yeah but you ran this morning so you burned it off.” I ran enough to burn off one bite of fried chicken. I’m not sure all of my races so far this year would be enough to burn off all of the food I ate that weekend. But, quite often, food = love and there was a lot of love to go around in Pittsburgh that weekend, in so many ways. 
Me, Ali, and a dinosaur that was looking at our butts  

No comments:

Post a Comment