| Over. It. |
I wish that “dark and funky” were a cocktail, kind of like a
dark and stormy only with root beer and Pimm’s? But it’s not. Dark and funky
refers to my race attitude these days.
This picture pretty much sums up how I feel about racing
right now. I’m tired, I’m worn down, and no post-race buffet, tech shirt,
goodie bag, or whatever, is enough to get me out of my funk. The fatigue is
partially from my excessive racing and partially from my excessive training. The
training from my 50k has started to really ramp up, which means I’m doing more
running and recovering, which leaves less time for things like racing, blogging,
sleeping, doing laundry, going to the grocery store, eradicating the vole that
has taken over my backyard, etc.
The training would be enough on its own but, with the added
pressure of racing, I’m feeling it a bit. Unfortunately, races have started to
feel like a little bit of a burden, instead of the celebration that I want them
to be. Races typically mean that I have to wake up at 4:00 am. And I have to
write a blog. And, also, my t-shirt drawer is getting maxed out.
These last few weeks, when people ask me how my races are
going, my response has generally been, “I’m kind of over it right now.” But the
“right now" is the key. I know this dark and funky time won’t last. With any
epic adventure story, the hero inevitably goes through a dark phase, where
everything looks bleak and the pressures of the quest seem insurmountable. This
is a necessity in the narrative arc. (Empire Strikes Back, anyone?) Without
this time of darkness, the light at the end of this tunnel would be less
bright, the good tech shirts wouldn’t seem as good, the doughnut at the end of
the Honolulu Marathon wouldn’t taste so sweet… at least that’s what I’m telling
myself.
The good news is that, despite my horrible attitude, I’ve
managed to get in three more races in the last few weeks, which means I’ve
officially hit the big 3-0. I only have ten more to go, and six of them are
already planned. Soon these dark and
funky times will all be a distant memory and I’ll be looking back with
nostalgia on those dog days of summer when I kept going, even though I wanted
to quit.
But for now, I’m getting through by cataloging the number of
men’s deodorant samples I’ve gotten so far this year (four) and trying to figure
out how to cram a few more t-shirts into my drawer. Here’s what I’ve been up to
since my last post:
Race 28 – The Final Stroke and Stride of the Season
Date: July 29th
Type: Run and Swim
Distance: 800 meters/5k
Shwag: Nada
The Stroke and Strides are over already? How did that
happen? For me, this series marks the beginning of summer and the beginning of
the end of summer, so it was sad to see the last S&S arrive. I managed to
do the first S&S of the year in June and I want to say that I planned to do
the last S&S, as a nice bookend. But, I basically did this race because I
felt like I HAD to get a race in, especially since I hadn’t done a race in
almost four weeks. (Side note: my alternative title to this post was “28 Days
Later” and I was going to talk about how I pretty much felt like I was in
the midst of a zombie apocalypse, or whatever it was that happened in that
movie, since that's kind of how I feel.)
| Goodbye, Stroke and Strides. We'll see you next summer! |
The final S&S fell in the middle of a rest week and I
really needed the rest. Still, I signed up for the race and made myself go
because these races aren’t going to do themselves. Despite not being able to
remember the last time I swam, I had a decent swim. Then came the run.
Terrible. Had it not been a race, I would have stopped running and gone home
for the rest I so desperately needed. But I didn’t. I plodded along in shear
misery and only got through it by promising myself as much pizza as I wanted at
the end. I knew that this probably wasn’t the best decision for my body - the
race or the pizza - but now that I think about it, this race was sort of symbolic of being 28. You’re old enough to know better, but you still
make a lot of stupid decisions. You get through it though, and hopefully you
learn. And there are still some nice moments, like this picture of the sky.
Race #29 – the 800 Meter Challenge at Shoes and Brews
Date: August 5
Type: Run
Distance: 800 meters
Shwag: Cheap beer and the sweet taste of victory
What is the Shoes and Brews 800 meter challenge? Pretty much
the best running event ever.
It involves running an 800 meter course through an office
park in Longmont vs whoever else wants to do it. Whatever your time, that’s
what you pay for your beer. For real.
While this may not seem like an official race, it’s timed by
a third party and there’s an official record so it totally counts. Plus, I’m
making up the rules to this thing so, not to be too bossy, but what I say goes.
![]() |
| Cool pic of some cool kids from S&B's Instagram |
We had a great turnout for this event and I was thrilled to
have Barb F, Doug W, Bob M, Jenny B, and Andrew S join me for what turned out
to be a super fun, but super painful event. Even though the 800 meters went by
relatively quickly, especially compared to something like a half marathon, it’s
one of those situations when you feel every second of suffering. And when you
run as “fast” as me, you have a lot of seconds to feel.
Yes, I could have run slower and it would have felt less
miserable, and I would have still gotten a discount on my beer. BUT, they have
a board at the bar where they keep track of the top 20 male and female times.
And I wanted to get on the board.
Here’s how it went down: we rolled into Shoes and Brews
around 6:00 pm on a Wednesday, went up to the bar and said “We want to do the
800 meter challenge.” They said “Great! We’ll get the cone.” They then
proceeded to put an orange traffic cone into a Prius and drive it out to the
end of a cul-de-sac and said, “We’re ready when you are!”
We headed out into the sweltering heat to get a rundown of
the course. The Shoes and Brews people pointed out the start line (a crack in
the pavement) and the cone, which seemed really far away. We had a brief group discussion
about whether or not we should warmup and decided we should at least jog around
for a minute or two to make sure that no one pulled anything. After a quick jog and
some questioning of our sanity, we were ready to go. We lined up at the crack. The S&B crew gave us a very
official “Ready, Set, Go!” and we were off.
The Shoes & Brews people seem
like pretty legit folks, so I’m sure that they measured the course properly. But,
man, that was the longest 800 meters of my life! I think I probably lost a few
seconds on a poorly executed turn at the cone but, regardless, three minutes
and twenty-some seconds later, I crossed the finish line with burning lungs and
legs. I think I kept coughing for three hours and twenty-some minutes after
that race was over.
| On the board! (For now) |
But you know what? It was worth the pain and suffering
because I made the board!!!!!!! I’m sure that I’ll get knocked off the board
soon, if I haven’t already, but for now, I’m savoring it. Our motely crew spent
the rest of the evening hanging out at S&B and enjoying the beer we had
earned.
Part of me wants to tell you this is an awful event because
the more people that do it, the faster I’ll get knocked off the board. But, the
thing is, it’s such a great event at such a great place that you really need to
go check it out. However, maybe go on a day that’s not 90 degrees with 15%
humidity.
| Shwag |
Race #30 – Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
Date: August 8
Type: Run
Distance 13.1miles
Shwag: A tech tank top (a first!), a pint glass, another one
of those bag things, some kind of leg crap stuff, and… men’s deodorant.
Seriously, again.
A downhill half-marathon road race. After all the trail
running I’ve been doing, this should be a piece of cake, right? Wrong. This
race was not kind to me this year, which was disappointing considering I had a
mega PR last year. This year, I ran hard, it hurt, and my time wasn’t so hot. I
can’t say that did a lot for my race enthusiasm.
| Kate trying some liquified pizza. |
Luckily I wasn’t alone in this one: JenSki, Kate B. and Russ
joined me and thank god for that. Without them, I’m not sure I would have gone
through with it. The race starts at Georgetown Lake with a loop up to
Georgetown and back down to the start. Then you run down the access road next
to I-70 until you get to Idaho Springs. Had I been alone, I would have been
tempted to start the race and then drop out when I made it back to the car. (Hey,
I said 40 races, not 40 finishes!) But that’s not what happened.
Since I had an extra hour of running on my schedule, I did a
20 minute warmup with Kate before the race. Then, my plan was to run the 13.1
miles as fast as I could, cross the finish line, top off my water bottle, and
head back out for another 40 minutes. God help me.
| My enthusiasm is contagious. |
It’s not that I felt completely horrible during the race. It’s
that I just felt so bad when it was over. My legs were more tired than they had
been in a long time and I still had 40 more minutes to go. Having already run about
15 miles, I really didn’t want to do more but I had told Jennifer I would jog
back on the course and then run the rest of the race with her. And so I did.
Heading back on the course was an uphill battle, literally. As
I slowly (slooooowly) made my way back on the course, people were looking at me
like I was nuts. That’s because I was. Just as I was wondering whether or not I
could get a ride back to the finish, I saw Jennifer and gathered all of my
strength to run it in with her.
My first few steps with Jennifer were rough but after that,
it was the best I had felt all day. Unlike every other mile, the mile or so I
ran with Jen went by really fast, especially since she totally picked it up
when we got into town. Seriously, she was running faster in the last .25 miles
than I was. I could barely keep up.
I was thrilled to cross the finish line a second time and
finally be done for the day. As an added bonus, we ran into Bob and Debby T. at
the finish line. It’s always nice to have a little hit of that Monkey Love!
With #30 in the bag, it’s hard not to think about what comes
next. But, one thing that I’ve always struggled with as an athlete is knowing
when to push through the pain/fatigue and when to back off. At this point, I
think I’m seasoned enough to know that I need a little bit of a break. So, I’m
taking a few weeks off from racing to regroup and recharge. I have another race
planned at the end of the month but, until then, I’m going to lay low. After all,
I only have ten more races to go, and I want to give them all everything that I’ve
got.
Hopefully I’ll feel better after a break but, I still need
you, people! I’ve updated my race schedule. Take a look and let me know if you
want to join me for anything. (Having people helps a ton.) I’m also open to
suggestions for the four races that aren’t planned yet. But, be aware that I’m probably
not up for anything super-zany right now, unless it’s a 5k run in a gorilla
suit. It’s expensive, but you get to keep the gorilla suit. Think about it…
| Pic of the sky in Georgetown, because that's just what I'm doing right now. |

No comments:
Post a Comment